Monday, February 12, 2007

Ho, Hum! Another Storm Warning

At first it was fun but now it is getting tiresome.
Hello, El Nino!

Today as I was listening to a lecture on Synaptic Processes: An Introduction, my cell phone buzzed. (I had it on vibrate). Turns out it was a National Weather Service Urgent Message:


NMZ001>021-026-131300-NORTHWEST PLATEAU-NORTHWEST MOUNTAINS INCLUDING JEMEZ-UPPER RIO GRANDE VALLEY-SANGRE DE CRISTO MOUNTAINS-NORTHEAST HIGHLANDS-HARDING COUNTY-FAR NORTHEAST PLAINS-WEST CENTRAL MOUNTAINS-MIDDLE RIO GRANDE VALLEY/ALBUQUERQUE METRO AREA-SANDIA/MANZANO MOUNTAINS-CENTRAL HIGH PLAINS/ESTANCIA VALLEY-CONCHAS LAKE/GUADALUPE COUNTY-QUAY COUNTY-SOUTHWEST MOUNTAINS/UPPER GILA REGION-LOWER RIO GRANDE VALLEY-LINCOLN COUNTY HIGH PLAINS/HONDO VALLEY-CAPITAN/NORTHERN SACRAMENTO MOUNTAINS-DE BACA COUNTY-CHAVES COUNTY PLAINS-ROOSEVELT COUNTY-CURRY COUNTY-GUADALUPE MOUNTAINS OF CHAVES COUNTY-
TUESDAY THROUGH SUNDAY: YET ANOTHER WET WEATHER SYSTEM WILL BRING PRECIPITATION TO MOST OF NORTH AND CENTRAL NEW MEXICO STARTING TUESDAY AND CONTINUING THROUGH WEDNESDAY OR WEDNESDAY NIGHT. THIS WILL BE A LITTLE COLDER SYSTEM INTHE WEST AND QUITE A BIT COLDER FOR THE EAST...SO MORE SNOW THAN RAIN WILL BE THE RULE. IT CURRENTLY APPEARS THAT THE AREAS MOST LIKELY TO RECEIVE THE MOST SNOWFALL WILL BE NEAR AND NORTH OF THEINTERSTATE 40 CORRIDOR BETWEEN TIJERAS AND TUCUMCARI. REMEMBER THAT WEATHER CAN CHANGE VERY RAPIDLY. ALWAYS USE THE LATEST FORECASTS...WATCHES AND WARNINGS FOR PLANNING PURPOSES..SPOTTER INFORMATION STATEMENT...SPOTTERS ARE ENCOURAGED TO REPORT SNOWFALL AMOUNTS THROUGH THENATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE ALBUQUERQUE WEB SITE OR BY CALLING1.888.386.7637.

Apparently, we are to get more snow. We live two miles from I-40 in the corridor between Tijeras and Tucumcari. Sigh. We are weather spotters so I guess I will have something to do while we are snowbound once again.

We are finally able to drive all the way to the garage door on our steeply sloped drive. That just happened on Saturday because it rained. Well. I just hope I do not have to miss class tomorrow.


2 comments:

Megan Bayliss said...

I still cannot get my mind around the fantastic diversity of our planet. If I had not spent some time living in Alaska (in winter!!!!) I would be unable to fully comprehend the weather and conditions you are speaking of.

I am sitting under the fan and wishing Boy would wake up so that I have a valid excuse to turn the air conditioners on. Apart from the glare, there is a heat haze outside and it hurts my eyes to look across the road.

I laughed at you being a weather spotter. I drive my partner crazy with weather watching and interpretation of the signs. He thinks I'm a bit new agey when I consult the halo around the moon to predict how far away the big rain is. He just doesn't get it.

He's learnt to respect my interpretation of animal activity thought - when those ants fill our wash basins we're in for big rain – when the beetles turn emerald green the rain will ease off – when the green frogs turn slightly purple, they are stressed and an environmental disaster has already occurred.

Stay safe on those icy roads.

Elisheva Hannah Levin said...

Thanks, Megan!

When we see the "ring around the moon" we know there is snow coming. Sun Dogs mean cold weather. When the Robins come back, spring is a month off yet.

I am so glad it is not snowing somewhere! Most of the United States is having winter storms this week. The midwest just had a killing blizzard, the east coast is having a nor'easter. We got 14 inches and my truck is stuck a mile from my house! And more snow to come...

Tell you what: I'll just look at the pictures of your tropical house and feel the warmth. You check out my snow pictures and cool off a bit!