Sunday, July 22, 2007

My Lips Are Sealed

I finished the book. I will not reveal the ending.


We did not end up going to the midnight release EVENT for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. MLC and I decided that we would have a nice quiet Shabbat dinner with Bruce and then retire early so that we could pick up the books in the morning for a full day of reading pleasure.

Above: D., T., and N. picking up their books at a bookstore in Illinois. The three cousins caused no mayhem yesterday. They were too busy reading.
We got our books about 9:30 AM MDT and were ensconced in "comfy" chairs near the Seattle's Best counter with lattes in hand by 10 AM. I even had them put carmel in my latte. We were making our own morning release party. We had dropped Bruce off at the Hardware store, so we figured we had about an hour's reading pleasure. I got four chapters read before Bruce called.


We came home, had some lunch, and I settled in my red leather chair in the sitting room with some chocolate and tea and propped my feet up on the hassock. And I did not move again for about four hours. By then I was half-way through the book. I knew I was not following my plan to read a few chapters at a time, but I could not help myself. I could not put the book down! It had a spell on me!


After a short break to walk the dogs, I was back in my chair and I finished the book at about 10 PM. And then I read the first chapter aloud to Bruce. It was that good!


Today I have been wandering about in that post-book mixture of euphoria and sadness. You know the feeling--you've been in an alternate reality, a different world and you have grown to know and love the characters. They have become real. And now you have to re-enter your own world. So you are stuck between worlds for a while. A really good book just does that to me. This morning I re-read different parts, looking closely for the foreshadowing and literary allusions that will allow me to discuss the book. But not here. Not yet. My lips are sealed.


I think I will go back and re-read this book. Soon. That is how powerful it is.




6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was some fast reading! :-) I have been hitting "Harry" hard myself. I am up to page 700. I haven't quite finished the book, let alone had time for it to sink in ... but right now I am thinking that in terms of literary, psychological and spiritual aspects, it's her richest book. I look forward to seeing your review. I always enjoy the way you think and write.

http://tribeofautodidacts.homeschooljournal.net/

Melora said...

I am treading warily through the internet these days, fearful of spoilers, but I figured I could trust you! I read it aloud to Ed and the kids, so it is going to take us a little while. I'm glad to know that you were happy with it, though!

Camp Program Director said...

2 am this morning!!! It WAS good but I haven't done that for a while and I'm exhausted (the girls are up several times a night still, too). Brent teased me something awful that he was going to take off with and read it every time I had to put it down for the girls or meals (we even had guests and I was sneaking reads in the closet!!!)

Lots to think about and discuss (not yet, though). It wasn't what I expected, but I really enjoyed it!

Megan Bayliss said...

Ohhhhh...I have yet to get it and can't wait.
E I won't be posting to Boy's blog for a while - he's gone off to live with his Dad, so am adding you to my child protection blog. I'll still be visiting and keeping in touch with you my favoured friend.

nbosch said...

I finished the book on Sunday--loved it. I was trying to explain to my husband why I enjoyed the books so much. For me, it wasn't the story as much as all the little things--the letters that followed Harry in Book 1 as the Dursleys moved him, the portraits that moved during the battle in Book 7, Dobby pounding his head on the floor in Book 3 (?),the Latin spell names, the care taken in describing the components of the wands... JK is pretty amazing.

nbosch said...

BTW, I've taught gifted kids for 22 years. Let me know if you ever need help with your graduate work, I have opinions about everything!! http://anotsodifferentplace.blogspot.com or http://adifferentplace.org