Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Carnival of Homeschooling 130: Homesick Campers Edition

It's the Homesick Campers edition for the COH over at Dewey's Treehouse!

I don't know about you, but I had a great time going to summer camp when I was a kid. We did girl scout camp at Hidden Hills and also at Lake Bloomington, and other camps but I don't remember all the names. We'd sit around the campfire smelling of DEET (this was long before PC) and smoke, singing songs into the evening. We'd huddle in tents during thunderstorms at 2 O'Clock in the morning. We'd put on our "creek sneakers" to wade in and get muddy catching crayfish and frogs. We'd be gone a week or two and come home having grown an inch, and tanned and dirty.

Ah, I am getting happy just thinking about it.

"Girl Scouts together, that is our song.

Winding the old trails, rocky and long.

Learning our motto, living our creed,

Girl Scouts together in every good deed."

See what can get dredged out of memory of nearly 40 years ago with a little whiff if the scent of DEET?

1 comment:

Fairion said...

Go Girl Scouts!! I camped with my troop as a child but never did Girl Scout camp as a child since my mother chose Junior USY camp instead for us.

As an adult and teacher though I did camp for several summers running and look forward to going back when with my daughter when she is finally old enough.