Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Driving the Turquoise Trail: The Ortiz

NEARLY WORDLESS WEDNESDAY

I took my camera on the drive to Santa Fe intending to take some pictures and I even started out early to have plenty of time! I thought to put those pictures of this beautiful drive up as part of Nearly Wordless Wednesday. Alas! I had left the digital disc in the USB port of my computer!

Next week I'll get pictures. Today, you get a Geological Map from the US Geological Survey with San Pedro Watershed overlay by Kathy Lathrop of New Mexico Tech.




I drive across the San Pedro Watershed and the Ortiz mountains on the Turquois Trail (NM Highway 14) every Wednesday. On this map, NM 344 is clearly visible in the Estancia Basin, near the eastern margin. The little pink road to the west that run northward just east of the the Sandia Mountain Granite (Yg) across the faulted Permian limestone is Highway 14.

The Ortiz mountains are a source for gold, and the Ortiz Mine was one of the first western US gold mines. The San Pedro Watershed has much placer gold brought down from the Ortiz by streams. Look for the pale yellow rock labeled QTs (for Quaternary-Tertiary sediments). Indeed, NM 344 and 14 (the Turquoise Trail) meet up just south of the town of Golden, NM just north of this map's top margin.

You can guess from the faulting and the many colors indicating many contacts between different rock, that my drive is quite beautiful.

Next Week: Pictures! (I Promise!).

1 comment:

christinethecurious said...

A few weeks ago when you were preparing for your literacy teaching, you mentioned reading "Banner in the Sky,"

My 4th grade teacher read us that book during a beautifully distracting Spring to keep us focused. "Class, remember, if you behave well, we will read another chapter today."

It just so happened that my oldest son and I were needing another bed time read a loud project, so we started off on "Banner in the Sky." It was as good as I remembered it, funny that I'd forgotten it in the first place. Thanks for the reminder

Thanks,
Christine