Sunday, January 6, 2008

Samurai Baker

This weekend I celebrated another trip around the sun in fine style. One of the greatest pleasures of it being my birthday, is that I do not worry about getting or making the cake.
This year, N. made the cake for the first time, and MLC advised and took the pictures.
I was banished from the kitchen.

Here, N. can be seen mixing some the ingredients together with an electric hand mixer. He told his sister that he thinks I should receive a professional mixer--"you know, the kind with big metal bowl attached"--for some future "occasion upon which mom can expect a present."

Here, we have 'Samurai goes high tech."

For some reason I was not privy to, the young padawan decided to change tools. Remember, I was banished from the kitchen.

The hand mixer went away and the food processor came out. Maybe he likes it better because there is the possibility of using sharp implements of destruction?

Is it a new martial arts form?

Or does it represent mindful joy that the food processor works?

This one is rather fussy and if the top is not connected to the bowl just so, it refuses to go.

At any rate, we can see that the grasshopper is having a great deal of fun.

The cakes are out of oven.

Note the serene smile of accomplishment. And although no picture documents it, the dishes were also all done, and the supplies were put away. That is surely living in the moment and showing respect for all living things, including his mother.

When Bruce and I arrived home from dinner out with friends last night, I was led into the breakfast nook, and here it is...a Samurai masterpiece.

Note how old I am according to the numbers on the cake. My AS kid has either developed a wonderful sense of humor, or he has learned a fine social skill. Yes, my young apprentice, flattery will get you everywhere!





Reason number 1123 for homeschooling. At least you will live with the satisfaction that your homeschooled padawan will not only be able to cook, but clean up as well.

And no, I will not tell you exactly how many times I have been around the sun.

A woman has a right to discretion in certain matters.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That looks wonderful! Way to go N!
Happy Birthday, Elie, whichever number it is!

A note on the equipment usage--it's a power tool thing. My guy loves any excuse to use as much "equipment" as possible during our cooking sprees. I think more men would cook if they realized how often they get to use power tools.

denise said...

Happy Happy Birthday.

Looks like he had a great time and you had a great cake! :)

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...since Hebrew reads right to left, that would make you 82. ;)

What a lovely birthday! Many blessings!