Thursday, December 27, 2007

A Little Closer to the Brink...

Pakistani leader Benasir Bhutto was assassinated by terrorists today. The wanna-be dictator, Musharrif can only gain from her death.


She was the leader of the opposition party in the upcoming elections in Pakistan, a nuclear power.

Regardless of the politics surrounding her, her party was the only opposition to the increasing stranglehold on politics in Pakistan by Musharrif.

Whenever an assassin's bullet stops people from having a voice in the leadership of their country, freedom is lost.

And the world comes a little closer to the brink of tyranny and terror.

Ernie, over at Deliberate Wanderer says what I am thinking better than I can put it right now.

2 comments:

Amie said...

I couldn't believe it when I read about this today, I felt like the world just got a bit shakier. I'm going to go check out the link.

Magpie Ima said...

The news this morning hit me in the gut. I remember feeling quite a bit of female pride when she was first elected prime minister of Pakistan. I've never known if the corruption charges were real or fabricated by the opposition, but regardless I thought her very, very brave to return to Pakistan. She didn't have to and she knew she was putting her life on the line. She may not have been perfect but I think she was Pakistan's most realistic hope for a brighter future. The Pakistani people will be no better off for her death and the rest of us, as you say, are that much closer to tyranny and terror.